At what stage did the ‘granny look’ do a complete U-turn and start off a trend in its own right? We can’t put our finger on it – but we don’t mind! In fact, we’re pretty glad it’s here and hopefully for the long haul too.
There are endless ways with the trend! Whether you commit with full-on floral wallpaper, furniture and accessories or take a few key pieces and opt for a more modern approach, there are plenty of ways that you can secure granny chic – just make sure you don’t go too overboard…
Here are some of our tips:
* Use soft furnishings like pillows, throws and blankets
* Shop for vintage items at charity shops and boot sales, which have pretty designs – the trend also incorporates the ‘make do and mend’ idea, rather than sparkling new homewares
* Showcase any treasured black and white photos
* Don’t feel restricted to pale colours; opt for floral in brighter or darker colours
* Think of typical ‘granny’ pastimes; afternoon tea and patchwork for instance, and incorporate into your home.
* Don’t confuse the trend with ‘shabby chic’, which uses mostly light, pastel shades and distressed wares.
* Think botanical, and mismatched; busy designs against each other
* Keep ornaments, trinkets and crockery on display
Mia Fleur: www.miafleur.com
Make the most of: www.makethemostof.co.uk
Illustrated Living: www.illustratedliving.co.uk
House Envy: www.house-envy.co.uk
Burford Garden Company: www.burford.co.uk
Alexander and Pearl: www.alexanderandpearl.co.uk
Baker + Bell: www.bakerandbell.com
Paper Whites: www.paper-whites.co.uk
Creative Tops ltd: www.creative-tops.com